Last week we celebrated Jack's 5th birthday. As this is the friend's birthday party year, Jack has been planning this one for a while. The obsession of the moment for him is Spykids so we had a Spykids party. We invited a few of his Primary friends to the Spykids Academy training with a top secret envelope. Once the kids got here, they went through rigorous training in target practice (they shot darts at a target on the window--supervised by Josh), disguise practice (colored pictures of themselves with disguises), survival eating (they made their own pizzas--and LOVED them), and hunting for clues (they had a picture scavenger hunt for their party favors). They also enjoyed some birthday cake and ice cream and helped Jack open gifts. At the end they were presented with certificates of completion. I think they had a good time. But I am glad these only happen every other year--they wear me out! Now on to Emmie's party. She has big plans.
On Jack's birthday, his preschool teacher asked me if I cried. Shocked, I said no, why? She said she cried the whole day her youngest turned 5 because he was getting ready to grow up. Me? I'm not crying. Jack and I are SO excited for Kindergarten to start. For some reason I am not at all sentimental about my kids getting older. I have thought about this a lot because I have felt slighly worried and a bit guilty for not feeling sadder. And this is what I have come up with. I have GREAT kids. They are growing up so well, making such great choices and really becoming who I want them to become. So, no, I am not sad for their progress. I am quite happy. I hope it continues. Really, my goal as mom is not to stay the mom of the little kids forever. My goal is to help develop successful, intelligent, highly effective, spiritually strong adults who can handle everything this crazy world throws at them. And so far, I think we are on the right track. So no tears for this mom. Keep up the awesome work, Jack. You are going to be a great 5 year old!
2 comments:
I can't believe Jack turned five! I remember when he was born. It doesn't seem that long ago. They grow up so fast.
Of course, I can't believe Josh is that old. I taught him the year he turned eight!
Happy Birthday Jack! Looks like you had a great day!
Post a Comment