Dear Family and Friends,
Christmas greetings from Des Moines, Iowa. We are so glad you came to visit us on our family blog. I will never claim to be the most computer savvy person you will ever meet (quite far from it actually), but I have discovered this year that posting things on a blog is a great way to stay connected with family and friends across the country more than once a year. So while we will continue to send traditional Christmas cards every year (there is something magical about getting mail the old fashioned way), welcome to our virtual home, and we hope you feel welcome to drop in often.
Like most of you, our 2008 has been full and fulfilling. Here is the brief update of our family members.
Josh—The big event for Josh in 2008 was turning 12 years old. It is hard for me to believe that he has already reached this milestone in his life. We welcomed our grandparents to Des Moines for his Priesthood ordination in July. And in October he and Kris traveled to Utah to attend his first Priesthood session of conference. It was a great experience to get to attend with Dad, both grandpas and a couple uncles in the conference center. It’s really fun to watch him grow up.
He attended his first week-long scout camp this summer and is well on his way to earning his Eagle Scout award in the Boy Scout program. He has also been busy playing trumpet and piano in band. He opted to join two extra curricular jazz bands this year, one playing each instrument. It has been a good experience for him, but requires him to be at the school four out of five mornings a week at 7:00 am. I guess it is good training for early morning seminary in a couple years, but I have to say we all really look forward to Wednesdays when we get to sleep in a little longer.
Emmie—Emmie is taking fourth grade in stride. In addition to working hard on her school work, she has spent some time participating on student council this year. She really likes being involved in activities like these. Emmie has a creative streak and has shown an interest in writing this year. I hope she keeps it up. She decided to try gymnastics this year. So with that, piano lessons and Activities Days at church, her schedule is almost as busy as Josh’s.
Olivia—Kris says that Olivia is my little mini-me. Not sure what that means, but it is fun to watch her grow up. She has discovered that she likes school, which is a very good thing. Olivia does well at anything she decides she likes. But watch out if she hasn’t made up her mind. So we are glad that reading and other subjects have become good things in her eyes. She has also taken up gymnastics this year. And, though I have not been as consistent as I should, I have started teaching her piano myself this year. We will see how long it lasts before I give up and sign her up with her siblings. She seems to enjoy what she has learned so far.
Jack—This is Jack’s last year of preschool. He really likes going to preschool, but can’t wait for the real action to start—Kindergarten. We have been talking non-stop this year about when he finally gets to go to school with the big kids. I have mixed feelings about it, but mostly I am excited for him to make that transition. It will be a new world for both of us. It has been good for us to hang out together this year, but he gets bored and I know he will love the challenge of all-day school. And it will open up a whole new world for me as well, being the first time I will be home alone all day by myself in 13 years (I already have big plans for filling my time). Jack took up soccer this year and had a blast with it. He is looking forward to repeating the experience soon.
Kris—As always, Kris has kept busy with work, church and family. He is still serving as the stake young men’s president, which is challenging and rewarding all wrapped up in one. They had another successful youth conference this year, along with a few other good activities. But he is already in full swing on prep for next year’s events. His work, as you can imagine, has been a bit of a rollercoaster this year. The financial sector has been hard hit. Thankfully, Wells Fargo has come out OK in the end, but he is fully involved in the transition required with the Wachovia buy out. So times have been busy for him at work. In this crazy economy, we are just grateful to be so taken care of professionally.
Tiffany—My life has taken on a new aspect this year. I have gone back to work (if you can call doing some work on my home computer going back to work). It was actually an opportunity that kind of fell in my lap and I am taking advantage of it for a little while to see if it will work out. I am the office administrator for the community choir I sing with here in Des Moines, the Des Moines Choral Society. I still loving singing with the choir, but now I am more involved in the behind-the-scenes operations of it as well. We just had our second concert of the season this past Saturday and it was great to be involved with it. Now we have a bit of a break in preparation for our spring concert in April where we will be performing Mac Wilberg’s Requiem, which I am really excited about.
It seems like music has become the theme of my life this year. Along with my work with the community choir, I was called as the choir director in our ward and the Primary pianist. While I haven’t ever officially directed a choir, that one hasn’t been so bad. The Primary calling, on the other hand, struck terror into my heart when I first received it. For those of you who remember, I have been a closet piano player all my life, never brave enough to actually play in front of people. So when I told my mom that I had been called, she said, “Really!!??!!” But after a couple month of practice, and some forgiving (or oblivious) kids, it has actually become one of my favorite callings ever. I have never worked in the Primary (an organization in our church for kids age 3-12) before, so for 6 months I was able to be in there with all four of my kids—before Josh moved on. That was a delight. But the best part is that I get to sit in the corner and witness all the funny things that go in Primary each week without any of the stress of being in charge. The chorister and I joke that we are like the two old men hecklers on the Muppets. We sit over behind the piano (hidden, of course) and chuckle at all the funny things the kids say each week—like the little boy who yelled out “my dad says bad words all the time” when the lesson was on using proper language. But we also get to witness many of the sweet things the kids say too. We are often amazed at the strength of the youth these days. They really know things.
With all the crazy economic ups and downs this year, we are very thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who has watched over our family and taken care of us. We hope that you have enjoyed the same protection as you turn to Him in faith. At this Christmas season, may the love of the Savior fill your hearts and minds and may you look forward to a new year with hope and peace.
All our love,
Kris, Tiffany, Josh, Emmie, Olivia and Jackson Tolman
PS. We would love to keep in touch with you. If you have a blog, send me your address and let me know if I can add it to my list of friends (to the right). I really love this way of keeping connected to all the good friends we have made over the years.
2 comments:
Your kids are a lot better than we ever were, especially Josh. My had a hard time getting us to do anything like that. Basically, we were all a little like Kris when it came to singing for people.
Love your update Tiffany, I'm so glad that you've had a great year and hope that 2009 is even better!
Post a Comment