Saturday, October 10, 2009

Three White Dresses

During our trip home this summer, we had the privilege of witnessing a baby blessing, a baptism, and a temple marriage all in our family. It made us all think about the poem "My Three White Dresses" and we knew we needed to get a picture of the three girls in their dresses. However, at picture time, I was so caught up in how beautiful the setting was that I forgot to take the picture (duh!). So I just got this copy of the shot from a family member and wanted to share it here.

My Three White Dresses
My mom bought me a white dress,
Not red or pink or blue.
She said it was a special dress
Like very other few,
There has been just one before,
A dress now put away,
That I wore some time ago
Upon my blessing day.
As a little baby clothed In my first white dress,
My dad held me in his arms,
There to name and bless.
So pure and clean was I just then,
With time to grow and learn
About the Father's plan for me.
My glory I must earn.
Now I've reached the age to judge
The wrong road from the right,
And I am here to be baptized
In this dress of white.
So once again I'm free from sin.
The path is clear to me.
I'll grasp the rod and hold on tight, I vow with certainty.
Just as mud would stain my dress,
Sin would stain my soul.
The key is to repent or bleach,
For whiteness is my goal.
And if I try my very best,
Then richly blessed I'll be,
Wearing inside God's holy house
White dress number three,
So today I make this pledge:
I'll strive to choose the right,
Through this sacred baptism ordinance
In my second dress of white.
(Linda Gay Perry Nelson, 1993)

2 comments:

Debbi said...

Hey Tiffany! This is my favorite - I have the picture hanging in my room and thought just the other day that I should really hang it in Avery's room. That's awesome you were able to get this picture.


I'm glad you found my blog on Sarah's it was good to get your comment, I just haven't been good at getting back. I love the post about Brother Toleman, I could tell as soon as I saw your blog that Erica took your pictures, she does so great. It looks like you guys are doing great, we like WA, but miss Iowa..well maybe not too much when I saw you got snow this weekend. We'll have to keep in touch.

Jonathan & Sara said...

Tiffany!
I am so glad that you posted this! I love it!! Thanks!! Hope you all are doing well! Love ya!