Monday, August 3, 2009

Family Pictures 09

We recently returned from a lengthy trip to Idaho for our summer vacation.  And I have tons of pics to add here from the festivities.  But before I get to that, I wanted to share some of my favorite shots from some family pictures we had taken this spring.

I don't know about you, but I haven't loved having family pictures taken in the past.  It seems like every time we have tried to get them professionally taken, I am so flustered by the time we are done, I'm the one who looks crazy and angry.  "Please smile and look happy!" "Don't bug your sister." "Look at the camera!" "Just a few more." "Please don't mess up your hair!" And the list goes on.  So every time I look at the pictures, I don't think, "Oh, what a happy family."  I think, "I remember what a nightmare experience that was."  Consequently, we haven't had many "professional" pictures taken.  I have opted for the more natural shots from my own camera.

But we recently had Erica Grover do our pictures before she moved off to California--literally right before she moved, within a few days.  And surprisingly, the kids were pretty well behaved. I guess they are getting old enough to figure the faster they cooperate, the faster they will be done.  Despite the gail force winds that were whipping up during the session that made things interesting, we got some decent shots.

We did get a pretty good laugh at Erica's "bedside manner" with our family.  She was fine calling me Tiffany during the session, but for the life of her she could not refer to Kris by anything but Brother Tolman.  We even told her she could call him Kris, but she refused.  It was too weird for her.  Are we really that old already?  We didn't think so.  Maybe it was the salt and pepper hair Kris has been sporting lately (which, by the way, I continue to tell him I really like!--sophisticated and all that).

Anyway, have you had any crazy picture stories?  I would love to hear them.  And what do you think of these pics?  Any favorites for you?  Drop me a line and let me know.  I am trying to decide which to print big to hang on our walls.  
















4 comments:

Pam said...

We just got back from Idaho too. Did Emma happen to be at the Bar J Ranch in Jackson Hole on the night of the 23rd with relatives? There was a little girl there that could have been her twin (or close relation). I kept looking at her (probably freaking her out), but didn't want to ask her so as not to scare her. I kept looking around for you guys. ;-) I ran into Stephanie Bassett in the bookstore in Sandy. Do you know her?
I really like the pics (Josh looks so old). I especially like the one at the top of the blog page.

Tiffany Tolman said...

Pam, we WERE there on Tuesday the 21st. Was that the day you saw her? If not, what a funny coincidence that we would have missed by such a short time. Good to hear from you. Tiffany

Britney said...

Who is Erica Grover? Does she live in Iowa, because we're looking for someone to take our family photo soon, too?

By the way, you're a great writer, Tiffany. I've enjoyed reading some of your blog.

Sarah Hastings said...

Cute pictures! I think they turned out great, i agree with you, Kris does wear the "salt and pepper" look quite well.