Sunday, December 13, 2009

Proud Mom Moment


As some of you may know, I sing with the Des Moines Choral Society {click here to check out the website}. It is a little community choir here in Des Moines that is my version of a MoTab experience. I learned about the group when I first moved to Des Moines from a couple members of our ward who sing/sang with them. Not having much more exposure to choral singing than the garden-variety high school/ward choir experience, I braved an audition to see if I could bump up my experience. Much to my surprise after a mediocre audition, I was accepted and started a great journey.

After four years, the choir has become an major part of my life (now I work for the choir as the office administrator in addition to singing). And I think my passion has rubbed off a little on my very supportive family.



Last night we had our first concert of the season. Usually, Kris comes and brings one or more of the kids to support me. But due to some scheduling conflicts, Kris wasn't able to come. So Emmie and Olivia came with friends instead. As part of the concert, we ask audiences members to fill out evaluation forms to see how we are doing. Tonight, as I browsed the comments, I came across the following evaluation by Emmie.



This brings such a huge smile to my face. I don't know if singing is going to be Emmie's "thing" going forward. But I LOVE that she is being exposed to it at the ripe old age of 10. Check out her favorite part of the night--And He Shall Purify. I don't know about you, but four years ago I would not have known what that meant, BA in Humanities notwithstanding. It is a movement from Handel's Messiah (which we now love to listen to in the car all the time, btw). And I don't know if you can make it out, but at the top, in her doodles, are the words to a Vivaldi piece she sang with her choir--Implevit bonis esorientes. How awesome is that that my 10-year-old daughter is doodling Vivaldi!

It's great to be part of this choir experience. But it's greater to see my children blossoming and growing right before my eyes. (And check out her creative side with all the artsy stuff she drew around the sides.)

No comments: