Thursday, July 28, 2011

My New Adventure

Starting August 29th, these will become my two best friends.




"Why?" you ask.  Because that is the day I begin team teaching early morning seminary at 6:00 AM--every day--before school starts to 16 bright-eyed and bushy-tailed 9th-12th graders from our area--including my favorite first-born son, who will already be a sophomore this year--yikes!  I am SUPER excited about this new opportunity.  I love working with the youth.  And I love the scriptures.  So getting to teach this group every day is going to be a thrill!  We are digging into the Old Testament this year, so it should be interesting.


Looking back over my own experience in seminary (yes, the cheaty kind that got to happen right during the middle of the school day), Old Testament was probably the year I gained the least.  (It was my freshman year and I was just warming up to the idea of actually learning something about the scriptures.)  So I am considering this my "do-over" year.  I hope to gain so much more this go round.

I am pretty sure my biggest challenge will be turning into a morning person.  I have no doubt that digging into the scriptures each morning with the kids is truly inspired.  What better way to arm them for the day ahead at high school.  But 5:00 AM sure is early.  So 9:00 PM is going to have to be my new self-imposed bedtime.  I hope I can make myself do it.  Otherwise, it is going to be a long school year.

Any seminary teachers out there?  Do you have any secrets to share on successful seminary?  I would love your ideas.

2 comments:

All of us, but mostly Heidi said...

Fun for you!! Phil just finished up a year of teaching seminary. Keep that positive attitude!!! You'll be wonderful!

Pam said...

Oh Tiffany YOU WILL LOVE IT! I taught for three years when we first moved back to OK from Katy. It's an incredible opportunity and experience. You'll get used to the "earliness". It took me about three weeks to not feel dead. Just stay on schedule and you'll adjust.