Sunday, July 3, 2011

Our Days on the Road

June was a blur of travels for our family.  With a summer schedule rapidly filling up with camps and conferences, our best time for a trip home to visit extended family hit right as school let out for the year.  So on the day after school let out, Grandma and Grandpa Hiltbrand and my brother's family--Troy, Melissa, Tanner, Brenna, and Camille--arrived to begin our travels with us.  As an extended family, we made our way over to Nauvoo, IL for a little pioneer fun.  While we have visited Nauvoo many times (and plan to many more--probably even this month) it was the first time for Troy's family.  It was so fun to share one of our favorite destinations with them.

NAUVOO AND CARTHAGE

We set out on Sunday afternoon and made our way first to Carthage.  It was the perfect Sunday activity, remembering and honoring the prophet Joseph Smith's sacrifice to follow the Savior.



After Carthage, we made our way to Nauvoo, where we checked out the house we rented for a couple nights.  What a great way to stay in Nauvoo.  We had plenty of space--AND a kitchen to cook meals.  As much as we love Nauvoo, there are not many good choices for eating.  So taking sandwiches,  frozen meals, and other things was the perfect solution.  It was cheaper and easier than trying to eat out each day.



We also took some pictures of the cousins by the temple.  We aren't together often, so we have to take advantage of the times we are with pictures.




Troy, Melissa, and I were able to do a session at the temple.  (Kris wasn't able to stay with us for this leg of our journey as work was pressing.  But we made sure he was with us for the rest.)  That is the first time I have done a session in the Nauvoo temple and it was beautiful.



We also played and saw a lot of sights.  I didn't take many pics, but we had fun.

MT. RUSHMORE

After our two-day trip to Nauvoo, we came home for the night to get Kris and get packed up for our trip to Idaho.  We decided on this journey home we would go to Mt. Rushmore and then down.  On the way, we stopped at Wall Drug (South Dakota's only claim to fame next to the mountain).  What a spectacle that is.  But we had to stop to say we had.



We had a good time at the pool in the hotel the night before going to see the monument.  But at 3 AM we weren't too thrilled to be woken by Emmie throwing up.  We're still not sure what she had, but throwing up was her deal for the next day.  So while the rest of the family caught a glimpse of the mountain before the rain clouds completely covered it all, Emmie and grandma visited in the car in the parking lot (Emmie's face 6 inches over the garbage can we had to buy at Walmart.)  Thankfully, her bug only hit her that day, and didn't pass to anyone else.




The next day we visited Martin's Cove.  I had heard stories about this place, but being there really brought the stories to life.  I am thankful for the dedication of early members of the church who trusted God in even the most extreme circumstances.  It really puts the struggles I face into perspective.  And I was also grateful to see my Great Great Grandfather's name on the list of rescuers on the plaque.  I hope I can be that courageous in helping others as well.



After Martin's Cove we made it to Idaho Falls.  While there, we were able to spend time with all my family and all Kris's family.  That doesn't happen very often.

We celebrated Olivia's and Josh's birthday with the cousins.  There are actually five cousins with birthdays within a week or two, so we had a birthday party for them all, with games and everything.







We threw a baby shower for our sister-in-law Sara, as she prepares to welcome a cute baby girl to the family.  Thanks to Ashley's creativity, we had some darling decorations that I am going to copy again several times.







We took a million family pictures.  They turned out great but took three hours.  That's what we get when we don't have time together like that very often.






And we were able to celebrate Father's Day with the special fathers in our lives, something else that doesn't happen very often.  It was so fun to be with family.  We got to visit my grandparents--Grandma (Hiltbrand) Baldwin and Grandma and Grandpa Smith.  I feel so blessed to still have all my grandparents with us.  (My grandfather Hiltbrand died before I was born--but I have all the ones I know.)




And we left Josh in Idaho to spend some extended time with grandmas and grandpas.  We miss him, but we really think he is having a great time with the extended family.  We hope that this type of thing will make up for our living so far away.  The other kids are already making plans for their extended summer trips in the future.  We will welcome Josh back on July 13th.

On our way home, we stopped at temple square in SLC.  It's fun to visit there when we can.  It brings back memories of our wedding day.

No comments: