Monday, July 4, 2011
Happy Birthday America!!
Today is the 4th of July--probably my favorite holiday (sorry Christmas and Thanksgiving--you are a close second and third, but this one has you beat, in my opinion.) I don't know what it is about today, but I just love it. I have only been out of the country once in my life, but it happened to be over July 4th. And I really didn't like it. Maybe that's why I love this holiday and everything it represents (you know, freedom to think what I want, say what I want, believe what I want, become what I want, all in a land of liberty given to us) so much--even when we don't have any big plans. Which was the case today. But we had fun anyway, and filled it with about as much as we could cram into one special day. Here's the run down.
The morning started with a quick bike ride to get a quick cardio in. [And what an adventure that was. See this arm? It's only a small sampling of the cuts and scrapes I got when I came upon a sharp turn too quickly, hit the brakes, and went flying--yes flying. Literally.--over my handlebars, landed on my hip, and rolled ALMOST into the creek. That's the first time something like that has happened to me and I hope it is the last. I'm too old for that! And I know I am going to be feeling it in the morning!]
After making it home and getting cleaned up, we decorated the back yard (the weather was so nice this year compared to the last couple, which have been cold and rainy)
played a little badminton
jumped on the trampoline that we FINALLY got assembled this season
grilled some burgers for lunch
made our traditional flag cake
played water balloon volleyball [a little trivia here. It was 19 years ago today Kris took me on our first date (another reason why I love this holiday) where we played water balloon volleyball at a holiday party at a friend's. Love this day!]
went to the parade (and melted. Did I mention we had great weather? We did, but hot!)
came home to cool off in the pool (at this point Emmie went to a friend's for a party. We didn't see her again until after fireworks.)
Took a break from the heat to watch a movie
enjoyed s'mores over the fire pit
played with pop its and sparklers
AND went to enjoy the fireworks.
Whew! What a day. And we did it all while wearing our flag T's, which of course is tradition around these parts.
But see this empty space at our table?
The only sad part of the day was missing our Josh. He is still having fun at the grandparents' (and wearing his matching flag T today--I called and checked!) but we sure miss him. I don't like not having my kids around me for these celebrations. With Emmie and him both gone this evening, we were a little empty. At least the neighbor girl joined in some. This is one day I think "the more the merrier." It would be so good to live near all our family for days like this. But that doesn't seem to be in the cards just yet. So for now, we just enjoy what we have and and be grateful we get to celebrate living in this great land of America.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Wow! Looks like you had quite the action packed day! The 4th is also one of my favorite holidays. I love all the matching t shirts as well. Cute family you have Tiffany. PS: That cake looks so yummy.
Post a Comment