Who would have thought that our biggest traffic jam of the whole trip would be 30 minutes outside Des Moines. We couldn't tell what was going on, but we decided to take a self-guided detour to bypass the hang up {We found out later a big wreck caused the back up.}. Unfortunately, we decided to detour ourselves right past the State Fair Grounds during the Fair {not too bright on our part}.

But 2,794 miles later, we finally pulled into our driveway around 7:30 p.m. It was really a great trip and a wonderful time for us as a family. When asking the kids what their favorite part of the trip, their first response was, "it's too hard to pick." Jack said, "I have ten!" But once we pinned them down, here is what they said:
Josh: most spiritual--The Sacred Grove
most fun--Niagara Falls and Smithsonian American History Museum
Emmie: most spiritual--The Sacred Grove
most fun--Niagara Falls and Smithsonian Natural History Museum
Olivia: most spiritual--Hill Cumorah
most fun--Hurricane Deck at Niagara Falls
Jack: most spiritual--Hill Cumorah
most fun--Niagara Falls
Kris: most spiritual--The Sacred Grove
most fun--The Smithsonian
Tiffany: most spiritual--the whole Smith property experience and the Grandin Building
most fun--watching the kids have a great time and bonding together as a family with
shared experiences that will last a lifetime!
TRIP TIP # 14 Next time we do this road trip {and there will be a next time!! The overall experience was so great!!} we are definitely doing matching T-shirts. We ran into a group with them on in one of the hotels. The lady said they were for a wedding tour. But I am so stealing that idea. With how much I love the matching T-shirt thing, how did I miss that one for this trip? I could have called it our Tolman Tour 2010. It would have been great! Next time, next time . . .
TRIP TIP #15 Do this if you get a chance. It is such a great way to connect as a family in a world that tears families apart. It doesn't have to be grand, but do something where you are forced to be together for an extended period of time playing and having fun. I wouldn't trade this for anything. I know it can't happen every year. But we will try to make it happen when we can.
We are glad to be back in our own beds tonight, looking forward to the school year and our normal routines. But I am so grateful for this past week. I has been great!
4 comments:
It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. I love making memories with my family just like yours has done over the past week. What a way to end the summer!
My parents took us on this exact trip (Niagara Falls included) when I was a kid. What great memories!
What a great trip!! That is one you'll all remember forever. Your stories of the GPS reminded me of the adventures we had with ours while in Florida. Now you must go watch the GSP clip from The Office. Love ya!
Post a Comment